Do you want to become a rideshare driver?
The NSW government has introduced changes to the regulation of taxi, hire car and ridesharing services.
These changes apply to all current and new rideshare drivers who provide booked services through a rideshare app.
If you are a rideshare driver or are interested in becoming a rideshare driver:
- You are required to hold a current Private Hire Vehicle (PHV) driver authority issued by Roads and Maritime Services
- You must register your vehicle for business use
- You must ensure that the car you use to provide services is roadworthy and maintained properly
Before applying you must
- Hold a NSW driver licence that is not a learner licence, probationary licence, provisional licence, restricted licence, driver licence receipt or conditional licence (other than a conditional licence with the sole condition of wearing contact lenses while driving)
- Have held an Australian driver licence for a total of at least 12 months in the two years preceding the application date
- Complete the required medical assessment forms
- Arrange for a National Criminal History Record Check (NCHRC) to submit with the application. The NCHRC can be applied for online through an accredited CrimTrac agent. Application costs are listed on the relevant agents’ website.
To apply you must
- Complete and sign an Application for an Authority to Drive Private Hire Vehicle from the Roads and Maritime website
- Attach two recent, identical, clear colour photos sized 65mm x 65mm, of your head and neck on a pale background without hat or sunglasses
- Attach your Medical Assessment Form (see ‘Before applying’ above)
- Attach your National Criminal History Record Check (NCHRC - see ‘Before applying’ above)
- Attach all documentation to the completed and signed form
Post the completed application form, with all relevant documentation, your credit card details or a cheque or money order for $45 payable to Roads and Maritime Services to:
Enrolment Processing Roads and Maritime Services
Locked Bag 5085
Parramatta NSW 2124
You can also deliver the form and documentation to:
Roads and Maritime Services
Level 4, 16-18 Wentworth Street
Parramatta NSW 2150